Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Nepenthes miranda



Two shots of my rapidly evolving pot of the nepenthes miranda, which I understand to be a variety that is commonly found in the local nurseries.

Post-Mt Kinabalu, I found a burning desire to grow carnivorous plants. This is partly because of my very green fingered friends who are CP-lovers and also partly because I saw some very beautiful nepenthes on the Mersilau trail.

These are photos of my first pot of nepenthes acquired again from World Farm on 12 May 2009. The plant took a couple of weeks to acclimatise to my backyard before it starting "pitching" for me. And now there is no stopping it - each pitcher is bigger than its predecessor. Am thankful that I had read Marcello Catallano's book in time to realise that the reason pitcher plants develop their pitchers is because in the wild, they grow in media which is poor in nutrients. Pitchers are therefore developed so that the plant can obtain the additional nutrients it requires.



No comments:

Post a Comment