Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Sweet Basil

The sweet basil is one of my favourite herbs. According to Jamie Oliver, basil and tomatoes are best friends. It is true indeed. Whilst I do not have the capability nor the space to grow tomatoes in my backyard, I have now got about 5 pots growing in my backyard thanks to my friends who got me some seeds from Australia. Here is a diary charting the growth of 4 of the seeds:
20 July 2009


9 July 2009


9 July 2009 - the same 4 seedlings are growing beautiful leaves.


27 June 2009 - true leaves are growing



19 June 2009 - the first two what i believe to be true leaves start emerging




14 June 2009 - first signs of the seedlings



9 June 2009 - 4 seeds were sown. No photos cause you really wouldn't have been able to see the 4 black seeds in the pot of compost.



Sweet Basil seeds - courtesy of my green-fingered friends who arranged for these to be brought in from Australia


2 comments:

  1. It is very time consuming to grow these from seeds. I bought a packet of sweet basil from NTUC and soak them in water, after about a week, roots grew and I repotted them. I'm glad they are growing well now.

    ReplyDelete